FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 – 7 a.m.
*** FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR EASTERN PARISHES ***
The Meteorological Service is continuing
• A Flash Flood Watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of St. Thomas, Portland and St. Mary.
• Effective until 5:00 p.m. today.
• The remnants of a Cold Front east of Jamaica and a strong High Pressure system continue to influence weather conditions across the island. Satellite imagery and Radar reports indicated that light to moderate showers affected sections of northern parishes, especially St. Mary last night into this morning.
• Showers, which could be heavy at times, are expected to continue to affect sections of Portland, St. Thomas and particularly St. Mary today. Flash flooding is therefore a possibility over some low-lying and flood-prone areas of these parishes.
• A FLASH FLOOD WATCH means that flash flooding is possible and residents are advised to take precautionary measures, keep informed by listening to further releases from the Meteorological Service and be ready for quick action if flooding is observed or if a Warning is issued.
The Meteorological Service will continue to monitor the situation.