FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, March 6, 2017 – 12 noon
*** FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FOR EASTERN PARISHES ***
The Meteorological Service has issued
• A Flash Flood Watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of St. Mary, Portland and St. Thomas.
• Effective until 5:00 p.m. today.
• A Cold Front north of Jamaica along with a strong High Pressure system over the northwestern Caribbean continue to influence the weather across the island. Satellite imagery and Radar reports indicated that light to moderate showers affected mainly northern and southeastern parishes this morning, especially interior areas of St. Mary, Portland and St. Thomas.
• Showers, which could be heavy at times, are expected to continue to affect sections of central and eastern parishes particularly St. Mary, Portland and St. Thomas this afternoon into tonight. Flash flooding is therefore a possibility over some low-lying and flood-prone areas of these parishes.
• A FLASH FLOOD WATCH means that flash flooding is possible and residents are advised to take precautionary measures, keep informed by listening to further releases from the Meteorological Service and be ready for quick action if flooding is observed or if a Warning is issued.
The Meteorological Service will continue to monitor the situation.